Ah... Venice...

 

or: looking at the world like a landlocked animal with the eyes of a fish.

Over the last years, when on vacation I've made it a habit of only bringing my camera if I have at least a rough idea of what my main subjects are going to be, what (unusual) techniques I intend to apply and what I am going to do with the final results. After all, carrying heavy equipment is not exactly the fun part of photography. What is more, the people accompanying you need to have a lot of patience as they repeatedly have to wait for someone taking pictures.

When, in mid-2016, my wife and I decided to spend some days in Venice, Italy, I felt like this was a good place for experimentation with an ultra wide-angle lens called "fish-eye". I had to borrow one for the occasion. Later; i would publish the best results on social media (I did e.g. here).

I don't mind lying on my back in the middle of the street or putting myself into some other akward position for a good shot (something any committed photographer is willing to do anyway). But in this case there was no need for acrobatics since the camera was mounted on a tripod with the lens looking up.

My wife not only agreed to being the "main subject" of some photos, as this one; she also passed the test of patience with excellence.  

 See more of my works on www.robertmarcusklump.com

Comments

Popular Posts